Significant interior construction work – installing a new sprinkler system on each floor in the existing B&C Wings of Fenwick Library – will take place all summer in Fenwick Library. This new system integrates with the Fenwick Addition and brings the existing Fenwick Library towers into compliance with current building code. Current status and access information is online.
- Work continues on underground installation
- Hot water in B & C wings is shut off due to work on water utilities
- Work continues on plumbing installation for cold & hot water on East side
- Work completed on water utilities installation on West side
- Geopiers are being poured on the South side
- Concrete deck is being poured for second level on East side
- Installation of new sprinkler system for existing Fenwick B & C wings is scheduled to begin May 19. Details on the plans for this major project will be forthcoming.
- Exterior fence signage about the Fenwick Addition project was installed April 28.
- The new stairwells in B & C Wings are completed and inspected. They are open for use and emergency exit. Appropriate directional signs are installed and lit.
- Foundation work continues. Utility line work continues to be challenging, Mason and Whiting Turner continue to work with all Utility providers.
- “Slab on Grade” will be visible on or before April 4.
- Installation of new Water Sprinkler system for B & C Wings will begin May 19 and continue through the summer. More information to follow.
- Foundation work has been delayed by the weather.
- WT continues working on utility lines and drilling foundation supports (geopiers, etc).
- WT has been installing expansion joints at the building connection to the new stair towers.
- Friday, March 21: the Fire Marshal will be inspecting the new stair wells. Alarms may sound between 10:30am and Noon.
Whiting Turner will begin demolition of selected study room glass & metal frames in Wing C and Wing B on Thursday, February 13 (snow or no snow) and the work will be completed by Saturday, February 15.
- Roof work on Wing A corridor space should be completed by Friday, January 24.
- Renovation of 2 rooms in Wing B (former Print Services office and Cataloging office) is complete.
- Fire stairs
- New East Fire Stair Tower should be complete January 31
- New West Fire Stair Tower should be completed early February.
- New stairs will open for use when the state has inspected and approved the construction.
- Hot water will be shut down in Wing C in the morning of January 23; it should be available in the afternoon.
- Expect a larger scale water shutdown for both B & C Wings during the weekend before Spring Break.
- The Mason Money machine, currently located in the lobby printer room, will be relocated to the pillar adjacent to the Print Services office by January 24. A larger fire panel will be installed in the current Mason Money machine location.
- Due to construction noise/vibrations, the Data Lab will move to the large group study study room on Floor 4, Wing C.
- The First Floor Hallway to Wings B & C is open now.
- Cutting brick for Wing B & C fire stair doors continues until December 6.
- Rough grading of the site will be completed this week.
- Digging of the foundation geopiers will begin December 2 and will continue for approximately 60 days.
- The First Floor Hallway to Wings B & C can’t be reopened until ceiling work is finished and inspected by the State.
- Inspection is scheduled for December 2.
- Hallway opening is contingent on passing the state inspection.
Water & Heat
- Water lines which provide heat to Fenwick must be shut down on December 4 and December 5.
- Water shut down time: 11:00 pm to 6:00 am each day
- Be prepared for cooler building temperatures.
- No impact on sanitation/drinking water is expected.
- On Friday, November 22, from 7:00 am to 12:00 pm, the Fenwick Library fire alarm system and west side fire pump will be shut down. A fire watch will be posted in accordance with university standards.
- The First Floor Hallway to Wings B&C cannot be reopened until the ceiling work is finished and then inspected by the State. The inspection is scheduled for December 2. The Hallway opening date is contingent on passing that inspection.