On November 16, 2015, University Libraries begins the process of moving more than one million books and bound journals, current periodicals, microforms, special collections and archives, government publications, various equipment, and nearly 100 library staff into the new Fenwick Library facility. Comprised of the newly constructed space and existing wings B and C, almost everything in the current library will be relocated to the new Fenwick Library. The original Fenwick building (Wing A, where the main service desk, reference books, public workstations, periodicals/microforms are now located) is not part of the new library. With the massive amount of items involved, it is anticipated that the move will not be entirely completed until February 2016.
The Move and Access to Library Services and Research Materials
According to Diane Smith, Associate University Librarian, students and faculty will continue to have access to all of the research materials housed in Fenwick Library throughout the duration of the move. However, as collections are packed up and moved intoto the new space, Mason students, faculty, and staff should plan ahead to ensure they have the materials they need in hand for papers, projects, finals, comps, etc.
“As we begin the move to the new Fenwick Library, there may be some instances where users cannot physically access a book that they require,” said Smith. “In these cases, all one needs to do is fill out a book request form found on the University Libraries website. Once requested, we will have that item ready for pick up within 24 hours at the main Fenwick information desk.” Book request forms can also be found at bit.ly/needthisitem.
To prepare for final research projects, papers, and exams, Smith recommends that students check out needed books and other research materials now and also said
- All current Fenwick Library services will continue as scheduled throughout final exams, and all study rooms will be open and operational.
- After the fall semester concludes, the Fenwick Library will close December 19 through January 18, and will reopen in the new facility for the spring semester on January 19.
- Items requested during the closure can be picked up at the Gateway Library main information desk.
- There will be no interruption in service at the Gateway Library, or at libraries located on the Arlington or Science and Technology Campuses.
The Move Floor by Floor
- Check the calendar in right nav bar
- We will try to be as up-to-date as possible on what’s moving when in which areas of Fenwick
- As with any move, timelines can be fluid – we appreciate your understanding of the scope and complexity of this move