Whiting Turner will begin demolition of selected study room glass & metal frames in Wing C and Wing B on Thursday, February 13 (snow or no snow) and the work will be completed by Saturday, February 15.
- Roof work on Wing A corridor space should be completed by Friday, January 24.
- Renovation of 2 rooms in Wing B (former Print Services office and Cataloging office) is complete.
- Fire stairs
- New East Fire Stair Tower should be complete January 31
- New West Fire Stair Tower should be completed early February.
- New stairs will open for use when the state has inspected and approved the construction.
- Hot water will be shut down in Wing C in the morning of January 23; it should be available in the afternoon.
- Expect a larger scale water shutdown for both B & C Wings during the weekend before Spring Break.
- The Mason Money machine, currently located in the lobby printer room, will be relocated to the pillar adjacent to the Print Services office by January 24. A larger fire panel will be installed in the current Mason Money machine location.
- Due to construction noise/vibrations, the Data Lab will move to the large group study study room on Floor 4, Wing C.
- The First Floor Hallway to Wings B & C is open now.
- Cutting brick for Wing B & C fire stair doors continues until December 6.
- Rough grading of the site will be completed this week.
- Digging of the foundation geopiers will begin December 2 and will continue for approximately 60 days.
- The First Floor Hallway to Wings B & C can’t be reopened until ceiling work is finished and inspected by the State.
- Inspection is scheduled for December 2.
- Hallway opening is contingent on passing the state inspection.
Water & Heat
- Water lines which provide heat to Fenwick must be shut down on December 4 and December 5.
- Water shut down time: 11:00 pm to 6:00 am each day
- Be prepared for cooler building temperatures.
- No impact on sanitation/drinking water is expected.
- On Friday, November 22, from 7:00 am to 12:00 pm, the Fenwick Library fire alarm system and west side fire pump will be shut down. A fire watch will be posted in accordance with university standards.
- The First Floor Hallway to Wings B&C cannot be reopened until the ceiling work is finished and then inspected by the State. The inspection is scheduled for December 2. The Hallway opening date is contingent on passing that inspection.
1. Several Wing C study rooms (108, 310, 410 and 510) and a few carrel areas are affected by the new connections to the new exterior fire stairs. The furniture in these areas will be relocated beginning November 12. Study rooms C108, C310, C410 and C510 will go “offline” for the duration of the construction project.
2. Study space outside of C108 is available for student use again.
3. Plastic draping in First Floor Wing B, now covering some book stacks, a study room and the new fire exit, will be removed by Friday, November 15.
4. The First Floor Computer Hallway fire door project is expected to be completed and the hallway re-opened on Friday, November 22.
5. Public computers and furniture from the First Floor Computer Hallway have been relocated to First Floor Wing B. The First Floor Computer Hallway space will be converted to Fenwick Gallery space, anticipated to be completed sometime in January 2014.
6. Roof work will continue for approximately two more weeks as old water utility lines are removed and a new storm water line is installed.
1. External fire stair tower drilling, to connect the new stair system to the existing towers, is scheduled to begin Monday, November 18, and scheduled to be completed Monday, December 2.
2. Soil preparation for the foundation tower crane begins Wednesday, November 20, and is scheduled to conclude Tuesday, December 3. The foundation tower crane is scheduled to be set in place on Wednesday, December 4.
- Tree removal continues on the south and east sides of Fenwick Library.
- Work continues on the external fire stairs on Wings B & C.
First Floor Computer Hallway Doors
- The First Floor computer hallway doors (into Wing B) are closed as of October 31, 2013. This firewall construction work is estimated to last 10 days to 2 weeks.
Water Shut Down
- On Thursday, October 31, from 5:00 am to 9:00 am, the domestic water system will be shut down in Wing B of Fenwick Library to install a new water line so old lines can be removed.
Be Prepared/Coming Soon
- Restrooms on 1st Floor, Wing C may be closed beginning November 4 for several weeks of utility work.
- Drilling through brick to create access to the external fire stairs on all floors will begin week of November 25.
- Drilling work will be suspended from December 9 through December 18.
- The temporary drywall partitions within the staff offices have been removed.
- On Thursday, October 17, library staff will move out of Fenwick Study Rooms to regular office areas.
What’s coming up?
Monday, October 21
- For approximately two weeks, there will be no access from First Floor Wing A to the rest of the Library while several windows are fire-protected.
- Patrons and staff will be re-directed to the second floor via Wing A stairs and have access through the re-opened 2nd floor corridor between Wing A and B.
- Persons with disabilities should contact Circulation Staff for assistance during this time.
- Due to unforeseen problems with laying cable lines, the Library staff move from Fenwick study rooms back to regular office space is postponed until the week of October 14.
- Construction of exterior stairwell egress continues on the Fenwick West and East towers.
- Construction of new utility lines continues on site.
- Fire Proofing Project
- Fire Proofing Inspection had to be rescheduled for Tuesday, September 17
- The library staff move from Fenwick study rooms is now delayed until week of October 7
- External work continues on the drilling of Geo-piers and water utilities installation
- Construction work on the Exterior Stairwells (west and east side) should begin during the week of September 16 and may involve loud drilling