On Thursday, May 23 from 6:00 am to 2:00 pm, water will be shut down in Fenwick Library, Wings B and C. The shutdown will only affect one wing at a time. Drinking fountains and restrooms in these wings will be unavailable during the shutdown. If you have any questions or concerns, contact Chris Brown at (703) 993-3111 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Two major activities are upcoming:
- Starting May 16, 2013, library staff members will use selected Fenwick Library study rooms as temporary work spaces for approximately 6 weeks while contractors apply additional fireproofing to Fenwick Wing A in preparation for the Fenwick Addition construction.
- Starting May 20, 2013, installation of fencing around the new Fenwick Addition construction perimeter is expected to begin.
Preliminary work related to the Fenwick Addition continues for the next several months:
- Monday, April 8 through Monday, April 15
- Fencing encloses towers on east, south and west
- Front sidewalk moves closer to Robinson Hall
- Large construction trailer moves closer to Skyline Fitness/Southside Dining
- Monday, May 20 – Roadwork begins on Chesapeake River Way
- Digging of foundation supports starts
- Other site clearing and grading continues
Friday, March 8, starting at 9 am, ceilings of various rooms in Fenwick Library will be inspected in relation to the fireproofing phase of the Fenwick Addition. This work will primarily take place on the first and second floors of the A wing.
Preliminary work has started and is scheduled for the next several months related to the Fenwick Addition.
- Wednesday, February 20 – First Floor, Wing B: Tile and Carpet installation began
- Monday, February 25 – Third Floor, Wing B: Some interior space demolition begins
- Monday, March 4 – First and Third Floors, Wing B: Additional shelving installation begins
- Friday, March 8 First Floor, Wing A: Carpet installation begins
- After Spring Final Exams: Fire proofing and below grade construction begins
Over the recent break, Mason library staff diligently prepared for construction work that will be done prior to groundbreaking for the new Fenwick Library Addition. Some collections were moved and spaces rearranged to provide the best facilities possible for students and faculty during the two-year construction period. Mason Library location changes include:
ARLINGTON CAMPUS LIBRARY (ACL)
- Majority of print Federal Government Documents collection moved to ACL space
- VIVA (Virtual Library of Virginia) now in ACL (moved from Fenwick Library)
JOHNSON CENTER LIBRARY (JCL)
- Circulating Collection: Call Number L books moved to Fenwick, 1C
- All of JCL’s circulating collection was shifted
- Writing Center’s JCL office moved to 136 Johnson Center
First Floor, Wing A
- West Alcove (SUB I side of room): Current Newspapers, Print Indexes, Study Spaces
- West Stacks: Reference Collection, Mason Theses & Dissertations, Government Documents Reference, Current Periodicals
- Center: Reference Desk, Public Workstations
- East Stacks: Bound Periodicals, Government Documents Microforms
- East Corridor (where Current Periodicals were): Microfilm & Microfiche Collection, Microform Reader/Printers, Assistive Technology
- East Alcoves: Bound Periodicals
- North End (in front of large windows): Study spaces
First Floor, Wing B
- Fenwick Circulating Collection Stacks Space
- Print Services
- Study Spaces
- New Fire Wall Space
- Writing Center’s Fenwick Library office moved to 136 Johnson Center
First Floor, Wing C
- Data Services Staff & Lab
- Selected print Federal Government Documents & Virginia Documents
- Circulating Collection: Call Number L (moved from JCL)
- Maps & Atlases
- Study Spaces
- New Fire Wall Space
More Fenwick moves for fire safety construction work will occur during Spring Semester 2013.
Due to some preparatory construction work for the Fenwick Library Addition project, Mason Libraries’ website, network connections, online systems (catalog, e-journals, databases, etc) and online services (CLS, Interlibrary Loan, etc.) will be DOWN / UNAVAILABLE on
- December 26, & 27, 2012: All library facilities are closed (University Winter Break).
- January 4, 2013: All library facilities are open (Intersession Hours). Fenwick Library will NOT have phone connectivity on January 4, 2013.
Fenwick Library firewall construction is delayed due to:
- design changes by the Bureau of Capital Outlay Management
- further study of the design of the Chesapeake River Way road, and,
- further study of storm water management in relation to the Rappahannock dormitory behind Fenwick
The firewall project is now projected to start March 1, 2013.
The Fenwick Library Addition requires relocation of three communication duct banks. They are currently under construction and scheduled to be completed mid-December 2012. The number and size of the cables involved in this job prevents the work being done during the December 21, 2012 – January 2, 2013 Winter Break. Please note:
- Fenwick Library and other campus buildings may partial network outages January 3-11, 2013.
- Areas where the building network is disrupted will not have wireless (wifi) service.
- Coax, copper, and fiber cables will be relocated during the first two weeks of January 2013.
- Disruption to building networks will be kept to a minimum.
- MORE DETAILS from ITU